Apple updates MacBook Pro with faster performance and new features for pros → #
Well this is unexpected, Apple have updated some of their Macs:
Cupertino, California — Apple today updated MacBook Pro with faster performance and new pro features, making it the most advanced Mac notebook ever. The new MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar feature 8th-generation Intel Core processors, with 6-core on the 15-inch model for up to 70 percent faster performance and quad-core on the 13-inch model for up to two times faster performance — ideal for manipulating large data sets, performing complex simulations, creating multi-track audio projects or doing advanced image processing or film editing. – Apple Newsroom
The improvements are to the 13” and 15” models of the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, and there are also a few extra bits of news. I thought I’d try and extract the key improvements:
- Faster CPUs – Now using 8th generation chips:
- Quad-core Intel i5 and i7 processors up to 2.7GHz (Turbo Boost to 4.5GHz) for the 13”
- Hexa-core Intel i7 and i9 processors up to 2.9GHz (Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz) for the 15”
- Up to 32GB of DDR4 memory in the 15”
- New HDD options – 2TB for the 13” ad 4TB for the 15”
- New Apple T2 Chip
- True Tone
- Upgraded graphics chips:
- Intel Iris Plus 655 for the 13”
- Radeon Pro chips with 4GB of video memory for the 15”
- The 13” model now ships with 4 USB C ports
- The keyboard has been replaced with a new 3rd generation butterfly keyboard, which is quieter, and maybe more reliable.
- Battery capacities have been slightly increased to cope with the newer specs. However, Brian Heater at TechCrunch says that no mechanical changes have been made.
- “Hey Siri” comes to the MacBook Pro because of the new T2 chip.
- Also, enhanced security with secure booting, and on-the-fly storage encryption because of the T2.
- There are new colour options for the MacBook Leather Sleeve (13” and 15”) – Saddle Brown, Midnight Blue, and Black.
- These MacBook Pro’s are also part of the Back to Schoo program, where students can receive a free pair of Beats headphones with eligible Macs.